This session is titled Resources, Tools, and Tactics to Hack Lead Gen on the Cheap by the CEO of Sales Hacker, Max Altschuler.
Companies with low budgets are paying for leads and its expensive and the data is old. You especially shouldn’t be doing at a startup, or at a company of any size. More and more people are starting to build for salespeople. Take advantage of this.
Along with the new sales tools, leverage outsourced help. It can be really cheap and you don’t have to pay for ZoomInfo or data.com.
Lead Gen Strategy:
- Figuring out your ideal customer profile and where to find them
- Top down and Bottom Up outreach
- Mix of web scraping, Virtual Assistants, and Sales Automation tools
- Customize the entire process up until prospects first response
- Use free and cheap tools
You have to have an idea of what companies you are selling to and who you are selling to. If you are in the email marketing field – these people are already customers somewhere else, you just have to find them. You the Market Share data for free at Datanyze to help see the industry leaders.
Ideal Customer Profile: ICP
- Who is your target user, customer, company?
- Where are they, what products are they using, what are they paying for?
- Use Datanyze, BuiltWith or Mixrank to find customers that are already using other products
- Reverse engineer existing deals to figure out your target job title you should be going after and segment that by the size of the company. At a F500 company it’s different than at a 20 person startup.
Now that you know who you’re targeting, start building lists.
Web Scraping Tools
For sales conferences, you can take companies that are sponsoring similar events and put them into a spreadsheet quickly and easily. Once you have column A, your team can get to work finding email addresses.
All you need is a link to somewhere where you know your ideal customers are. Scrape that and you have a start to your list. If you can automate this process it saves tons of time.
- All you need is first name, last name and domain – you can pull out names by the thousands
- Can pull accurate lists in real-time by the 1000s
- All you need is title or company name
- Test emails directly into your browser
- Can pull .csv files of massive, targeted lists
Using a Virtual Assistant you can find 60-80 emails an hour. These emails are targeted and fresh.
ToutApp (which Max uses)
Signals by Hubspot
- Take the leads lists and upload them into ToutApp.
- create a template and A/B test 4 subject lines if you have 1000 addresses.
- Run A/B test for call to action.
Using this method you will find the highest open and click through rates and which subject lines and calls to actions work best.
- Use virtual assistants and pay them $3-$5 an hour
- Have them create a Google Group to self train and self manage
- Create very detailed directions with screenshots for training.
- Put a test in the job description.
- Teach entire process to a VA team
- Get them to build lists and send emails for you
- You take over as soon as a lead responds
- Set up a call on the first response
- Great for companies with endless leads
- Can be done with a 1 man team or large sales org
Good Startup CRMs
- Bigger companies should check out TaskUs/LeadGenius
- Followerwonk for finding individuals with certain skillsets in their Twitter bios, etc
- Keyword SEO tools for creating keyword strings for your VAs (tools.seobook.com)
- SellerCrowd for finding the right targets in Brands and Agencies
- Rapportive, Refresh.io, Boomerang for Gmail, Google Labs for Gmail (Undo Send